Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they wish to believe, often with their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the future they are most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. Going back 6 months people throughout the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less due to the deadly aftereffects of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s earned its wake. They desperately need certainly to go back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a hoax, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media as always helps it spread-at times considerably faster than the killer virus. Perhaps the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 807 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only the elderly with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that typically the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions right from the start symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we will not make an explanation here just to avoid vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here this writer got a cultural media forward giving an url to an article by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action from the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the basic premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon should be occurring every year, and why then this season must certanly be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on an urgent situation drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the exemplory instance of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful to keep the infected numbers below 100,000 the nation is still fearing another outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to avoid its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as an integral part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million up to now and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a situation of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in a few countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that will probably stay for a lot more than two years and the worst is yet to come despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to have accepted at first this pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the entire world keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly even worse than the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. How come this type of mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least such an intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that could be.
In the last couple of days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the sole solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill when it comes to profit. As an example, in case a link for an article with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets think of the kind of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.